Vega banjo dating michael beasley dating
These data were generously provided to the BRC founder in 2000 by the family owned Martin Guitar department of history.From its early Boston beginnings, the Vega Banjo Company made splendid and now vintage instruments, including the Earl Scruggs signature model he endorsed in the 1960′s.
The differentiating feature is the deeper resonator than the VIP/Pro II/Osborne/Scruggs Mk II/Bobby Joe Fenster standard resonator models—not quite as deep as the Vox and not top tension (standard hook and nut with Pro II flanges).
The “Pro” model initially featured a “Tube-a-phone tone chamber rim” which evolved into a tone ring with “exclusively designed audio apertures” machined into a dogbone/barbell configuration.
The `Martin Guitars: A Technical Reference` confirms that the BJF-5 banjo was a thinly disguised Pro-5 not unlike yours .
Although the Martin Company did not manufacture Vega banjos till a century later, a solitary banjo from the mid 19th century is appended to the exhibit to display parallel innovation in the instrument because of its increasing popularity during that era (see close-up photo). Martin briefly built a lightweight tenor banjo between 1923-26 to compete with Vega and other manufacturers whose heavier and more popular banjos had greater tone, volume, and sales. The back of the peghead of these rare banjos is imprinted with a C. Data from these logbooks are available per e-mail request from the BRC founder.
This 5-stringer was manufactured circa 1845 in Baltimore, MD, by luthier William Boucher, Jr.. Martin Company acquired the Vega rights from the Bostonian Nelson Family in May of 1970 and sold the franchise overseas in March of 1979. An example of one of these 4-stringers from the 1920`s is still in the C. Dear Reader, Thanks for the photo of your Vega/Martin Pro-5 banjo. Of note, when the “Professional” 5-stringer was made in Boston in the early 1960`s, it had square MOP inlays with dots on the neck compared to the nicely designed inlays on your fretboard and seen in the 1966 catalogue.